Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Porch Weather

Finally we are having what I call "Porch Weather" here! I love sitting on my porch in the evenings after a hard days work and it has finally been warm enough to do so!


This is a tiny little alcove porch right outside of our kitchen and it is the perfect place to sit and watch the sun go down. The warm weather has allowed me to bring out some of my gardening and porch items that were stowed away for what seemed like an endless winter.


I found the old watering can in the gardening shed of my sister's new house, boy was I excited! And I found the old enamelware wash basin in our basement just recently! It was down there all this time and I didn't know it (there isn't much that scares me but our basement is somewhere I try never to go).


Another great find is the fabric that the cushion pictured is covered with. Year after year I search for subtle colored non-patterned outdoor fabric and come up empty handed. Not everyone wants giant red flowers on a yellow background people! I know there are catalogs I could order from and I know I could special order from Jo-Ann's but I can't afford either of those options. My dream outdoor fabric would be an oatmeal color with a blue ticking stripe but I will settle for this Sunbrella fabric I found at Jo-Ann's. It is subtle and pattern-less and matches great with my pillows and such. It would normally also be out of my price range but at 50% off I could afford 2 yards. I ran home with it yesterday and had the cover sewn in no time!


I use an old mattress pad as our blanket out here so that if it gets wet or dirty I don't have to stress about the stains. Clearly the grain sack pillow goes in with me at night:)



Neal built the little table one day while working out in the garage, you just never know what he might come carrying in.


There is tiny bit more to this little porch that I will show in a later post. Believe it or not when we bought the house this was a closet. The open side had been walled up at some point. I was determined to show Neal that it had been a porch at one time and couldn't wait for the day to rip down the drywall and unearth the original siding. Those are my favorite days, the days that ripping something down exposes the original farmhouse architecture. I feel like the house takes a big deep breath.


I will be doing some ripping down and exposing next week...stay tuned. For now I hope that you are having some "Porch Weather" of your own:)


9 comments:

  1. Megan your style, your ability to put things together is lovely. I love what you've done with your sweet porch. I sat on my porch today too.
    And the table your hubby made is so sweet. I love it!
    Lisa
    Leeshideaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Megan, I'm glad you're enjoying *porch weather* we're not, still snow flurries. . . hey I wanted to share an idea with you. . . drop cloths which are a nice textured canvas when washed and dried, make awesome fabric for outdoor cushions/pillows etc. I get mine at Harbor freight for around 6 bucks for a 6'x9' piece. lowes and Home Depot have them too but not as cheap. I like it that they can just be tossed in the washer if needed or if they get too dirty toss them and start over. . . love your porch by the way. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi, I used drop cloths to make our couch slipcover and they truly are wonderful! I had to put something that wouldn't soak up the rain water on the outdoor stuff though, we get tons of rain and everything out there gets soaked!

      Delete
  3. There's no porch weather in Minneapolis yet! Your porch looks so welcoming! You have such a touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your porch...it looks so comfy and cozy! We had porch weather today...it was 80 degrees, but tomorrow no porch weather...only a high of 47 degrees.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new reader to your blog. I love your decorating style and your thrifty way of doing things. I live near some of the stores you mentioned and I look forward to checking them out. You have certainly taken on a big project and I can tell it is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your blog and seeing your pictures is better than reading Country Living magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the nicest compliment I have ever received...I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that others enjoy what I am doing.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Mary-I just adore looking at pics of your home, and your porch is no exception! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete