Monday, July 15, 2013

A Place To Relax

I thought I would show you the rest of our little "nook" of a porch that I had promised you some time back.


My house is quite out of sorts right now due to the demo work we are doing on the kitchen/great room so this makes for a nice place to come out and sit with my glass of wine and decorating magazines.


I know most people wouldn't be worrying about making one space cute when another part of their house looks like ours does at the moment, but I can't help it, that is just how my mind works.


As with any space I tried to create as much cute storage as I could out here. The old kitchen cupboard with the enamelware top is yet another hand me down piece from my mom. I painted it "Sisal" by Martha Stewart. I love it especially because the metal bread drawer is where I keep my birdseed and the chipmunks can't get into it. They are cute but they get into everything around here!


Neal built me the upper cupboard and it is great for things like candles and bug spray.


The old seltzer bottles are one of my greatest finds from this past weekend. They even say "Brooklyn, NY" on them, I thought that was neat since that is where my husband is from. And speaking of Brooklyn I was lucky enough to visit the Brooklyn Flea on our last visit there and I got the egg basket with the fire wood in it for a steal. I was shocked to find that there were quite a few good deals there, some of the stuff is greatly overpriced but if you know your prices you are sure to find some great things. 


The chicken feeder on the bench was free at my local flea market and I thought it would be great for candles. 


The quilt is also from my local flea market, I have never seen quilts there and when I spotted this one on a table I couldn't get to it fast enough. It was one of those slow motion moments and I thought for sure I wouldn't have enough money in my wallet for it. I asked the price and the nice woman said "We wanted $10 for that dear", like she almost felt guilty asking so much. Needless to say I had enough money in my wallet and skipped away with the hand made beauty. 




A Marshalls $3 reproduction firkin is close enough to the real thing for me. And I found the pillow cover in the "As Is" room at Ikea (one of my favorite places for deals) for $6 and there is not a thing wrong with it. I was excited because I really wanted to buy one when I saw it walking through the store but was trying to be good and just buy the duvet cover that I went in for. Gotta love Ikea. 




We have been working hard on the great room renovation and have made some great progress. This past weekend we took the existing studs down and put the header up between the two rooms. Putting the header up was definitely one of the hardest things my husband and I have ever done, but we are very excited because we are one step closer to our dream great room! 


Okay it's back to work for me! 

16 comments:

  1. So cute! I'm loving your screen door too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The porch looks so cozy! It is great that you have this little oasis to go to when you want to escape the renovations going on inside!

    I just joined the world of blogging and would love if you would check out my blog and follow it if you are so inclined :)

    Thank you and I look forward to keeping up with you. Love your style!
    Khammany @ http://sweetinspiredhome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see a post from you. Love your porch.
    Perfect idea keeping the bird seed in the metal bread box.
    Good luck on the reno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the porch. . . it's so you !! I'm curious. . . if I may ask. . . what are you going to use the greatroom for? I know you said the wall behind the kitchen cupboard was the one you were tearing down. . . I just can't visualize it. is it going to make the kitchen bigger as well? Noisy, yeah maybe. . . more curious than anything. . . awesome post as always. . . can't wait for the big reveal .. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect spot to sit and relax and I think it's great that you decided to create one...when you're having ongoing work in your home, it feels like it's been invaded!

    I love the rustic casualness and I am so envious of that gorgeous quilt! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan - I HEART your porch and what a perfect place to "chill" with all the construction going on in the house. Your post makes me want to go home and re-do my porch.......love the seltzer bottles. I am always looking for things that say NY on them - grew up on the Island and now call Florida home! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could spend a lot of time sitting here! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute porch, Megan!
    It looks great! Wish we could help you! :)
    I can really relate to the messiness and hard work of old farmhouse renovation! We did our own last year and it's so rewarding to look around and see how our hard work paid off.
    I'm sure you'll feel the same way very soon!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't really get a good shot of it, but I think what you're calling an egg basket is really a clam basket. :) :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that makes sense! I wondered why it had a metal bottom with holes! Dah! Thanks:)

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos of your farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your porch looks so inviting.
    Tonita

    ReplyDelete