Monday, February 13, 2017

What Farmhouse Style Means To Me ~ A Continuation


A couple of years ago I did a post about what farmhouse style means to me...I thought I would do a follow up post to it. Farmhouse style has definitely become very popular these days and certainly encompasses a broad spectrum of looks from very modern to very primitive.






As for me I don't necessarily set out to have a certain style but what I do set out to do is create a certain feeling in our home. I strive to create a home that is reminiscent of the past but is also cozy, comfortable and calming at the same time. It is also very important to me that our home is clutter free, cohesive feeling and reflective of the time period it was built.








I love an overall collected look in a home and I love collecting. I usually know just how I want a room to look in my mind and find the greatest joy in searching for the perfect pieces that will create the feel and look that I imagined. I am drawn to things that are old and love filling the house with them ...whether it be old spoons and rolling pins or worn quilts and white linens. I love displaying things that were useful, beautiful and simple when they were created and that still are 100 years later.
































I can't seem to get my fill of white ironstone pitchers and love displaying them but also using them for flowers or utensils.











Simple and rustic hanging cupboards are also one of my favorite things to put in our farmhouse. Neal has built us quite a few in the last couple of months. It is usually hard to find a hanging cupboard that is affordable and also fits in the space we need it for so I just buy old cupboard doors when I see them and then he builds the cupboard to go around it depending on the size of the space we want to hang it in.





































































Another thing I can't get enough of are old baskets, they are just so pretty and can hold so many different things. I tuck one just about every where I can.





























Soft, white and washable linens with lots of texture are also a must in every room for me. 











































We still have a ways to go as far as renovating/restoring our farmhouse goes, especially on the exterior,  but I am starting to feel like it looks representative of what is important to us in a home and I must say that is a really good feeling. I would say that if you are in the beginning stages of renovating or even just changing your decorating style don't get discouraged and stick to what is important to you in a home instead of focusing on a "style".











It is still cold and snowy here but there is something about the evening sunshine streaming in the last couple of evenings that speaks of spring. It won't be long now and my wheels are turning about all of the things we want to accomplish on the exterior of the house and the spring Springfield, Ohio Antique Show. Before the outside work pulls me away from the inside work I promise to show you the dining room since we renovated it and Millie's newly redecorated room and to do a full post about our the fireplace we had put in. Until next time sweet friends!

19 comments:

  1. So Beautiful! I love your crib/daybed. I wish I would have kept the old crib I bought when I had my first apartment. Good place to read, or nap!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your simple farmhouse look! So peaceful ! Darling !

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful your farmhouse looks. I love the table and chairs on the front porch, nice to have a morning coffee and afternoon game of checkers. Your sheets looks crisp and I am having a hard time finding true cotton sheets. I liked the old fashioned ones that were sort of stiff and smelt so good when they were taken off of the line in the sunny breeze.
    Happy Valentines Day
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reply to my comment - I meant "smelled so good" and not smelt, oh well.

      Delete
  4. Very inspiring. Your collection of pitchers, baskets and old linens really create the feel of the past!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much like everything about your "style" and your feelings about making it a home. I felt like I had finally come home when I discovered the farmhouse look. Every other style has too much of some things and not enough of other things. I've looked at many farmhouse blogs, and I like yours the best, comfortable, inviting, and not cluttered. I drool over your pictures and use them for inspiration. Thank you ever so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again what a Beautiful pictures I get a lot of inspiration by looking at it, thanks !!

    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with parents who collected antiques, and I've had a gut load of them! However, when I see your decorating, I really appreciate how you display and reuse old things. I would love to know the history of some of the antiques I have. Although your decorating style is more austere farmhouse decorating than I have, I love it when you post; and I get so many ideas for displaying. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything you do in your house. I have so many of the same antiques as you but doesn't look the same. You have the perfect background & styling. You've taught me a great deal about setting up my photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is one of my favorites on the internet. It always inspires me and it makes me feel calm. Something I am trying to accomplish in my own space. I am so grateful for you posting for us to enjoy. I hope some day you will publish a book with all your lovely photography in it.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look or style of your home...So neat, clean and fresh! Always a joy to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I can never get enough of looking at your wonderful, cozy home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home always looks so fresh and inviting, lovely....Millie from: http://frugaliciouschick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your home is so beautiful and welcoming. Can I ask the color of paint on your front door?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home & the photos of it make my day. It's exactly what I wish I had. The photos belong in a farmhouse style coffee table book! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. You have some amazing collections. I love the old sink. It is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your home is so inviting and beautiful. It is fun to see all the versions of farmhouse style in blog land. Personal preference is key to setting up a beautiful home, instead of following what every other person is doing with their home. As always your post is just wonderful with so much eye candy to feast our eyes on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree. Your home and style are gorgeous. I recently broke my ankle and am very sedentary right now, so I've been studying all of your photos and love ithem all. I noticed you have very few lamps in your photos. Can you show a few more? BTW, thanks for NOT displaying a candle next to a lamp. My pet peeve. It seems so redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love looking at the photos of your beautiful home. You really should do a book! I have a bit more color in my home (I like blue and white English ironstone and navy and white quilts; I've also painted some small pieces of furniture (an old side table, a stool, a rustic wall shelf) a pretty leaf green. But I try to incorporate lots of old wood, baskets, galvanized metal, old glass jars, etc. like you do. Especially in the winter, your home is just a calming, cozy haven. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete