Friday, March 27, 2015

Farmhouse Friday ~ What Farmhouse Style Means to Me

I am so excited to be joining some wonderfully talented bloggers for a new blog hop called FARMHOUSE FRIDAYS! This month's theme is "What Does Farmhouse Style Mean To Me". 

To me farmhouse style is simple, rustic, calming, and cozy. I love old things and am drawn to the look of the past, specifically rural America in the middle to late 1800's.  I try to accomplish this look in our farmhouse by using primitive items and furnishings, warm wood tones, along with simple fabrics and patterns, all set against a neutral background. 

To me farmhouse style is....




~Lots of beadboard painted a crisp white that allows reflection of natural light.




~Antique crocks and other miscellaneous homesteading items. I love collecting but I also love keeping things corralled so I keep everyday items like rolling pins and wooden spoons on display in something old like crocks and pitchers, not only do they look pretty but they are easy to grab when needed. Antique baskets and old rustic boxes, two of my favorite things to collect, make a great place for linens.



















~ Hooks of all kinds old and new. Hooks are a staple in every room of our farmhouse and I love to display everyday use items,  pretty linens, and seasonal decorations on them.













~Old harwood floors, ours may be crooked and scratched but there is nothing else like them to give you the farmhouse feel.




~Quilts, quilts and more quilts, the kind that you can actually curl up with. 










~Old dishes, baskets, cutting boards, jars and tins.













~Old tables and cupboards....rustic handmade ones being my favorite. 








Our farmhouse, like most, is short on closet space so we need lots of furniture such as trunks and cupboards that can act as storage space.  I absolutely love old cupboards and try to squeeze one just about everywhere I can. 




~Signs, may they be old or reproduction they instantly give a room character.








~Slipcovers on the furniture, not only do they hide that pattern that you were sure you would love forever but they are washable and are easy to change when you tire of them. 






~And last but not least....my favorite to collect and decorate our farmhouse with....white ironstone, it clearly needs no explanation. 










Thank you so much for visiting our very first FARMHOUSE FRIDAY and I hope you enjoyed it! Be sure to visit the other fantastic blogs below! 






Displaying FARMHOUSE FRIDAY-4th Fridays Of Each Month- button.jpg






  HOUSE OF HAWTHORNES Farmhouse-Decor-5087


STONEGABLE JUST WHAT IS FARMHOUSE STYLE- every home needs a little farmhouse-stonegableblog.com


  THE EVERYDAY HOME 300Farmhouseatermark


  TOWN AND COUNTRY LIVING Town-and-Country-Living

33 comments:

  1. Your post makes me want to go find some old cupboards! I love the earthy feel of your home ... so natural and so beautiful. And my floors are crooked and scratched too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us all today. So much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is stunning! I found you from Jennifer at Town and Country Living. I'm so excited about this series and I can't wait to see more. Hope you have a relaxing weekend, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these photos of your beautiful. cozy farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much eye candy here! Loving all the natural tones in your home. It all goes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love getting a glimpse into your wonderful home, Megan! Great farmhouse style♥

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your home. It is so charming and peaceful. So glad you are part of these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your home...now I am getting ready to pin every picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time to your blog. Your home is everything I love. The calm greys, whites, natural weathered woods are the same palette of my own home except I live on the coast so mine is a nordic coastal style. Farmhouse style is one of simple, quiet, comfort to me so I truly love yours. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meagan,
    This is such a great idea for y'all to share your farmhouse styles....LOVE everything about your charming home.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Where did you find the tan checked towels hanging on the hooks? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always enjoy seeing your wonderful Farmhouse, and this post is extra special. I also must ask about your checked and striped towels and the oven mitt. I never stop looking for great new linens to use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beyond gorgeous! Farmhouse perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your wonderful blog so much! The pictures are better than an stress reliever. : ) So lovely!! Can you tell me what brand of apron sink you have and where you bought it? It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our sink is from Ikea, it was a great price and we couldn't be happier with it!

      Delete
  15. True farmhouse your home ... thanks for sharing it with us.
    Patty@thatssopretty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blog! One of my favorites!! Can I ask where you get your brushes with the wooden handles and also what color/name of your ikea slipcover you got a while back? I want new cover and there are two beige to choose from.. I have to order so I can't see in person. I like the color of yours. Thank you for sharing your home with us! Such beautiful inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I pick up the brushes with the wooden handles at estate sales and the flea market, however lately I have seen them at Marshalls/TJMaxx. Our loveseat is covered in the Svanby Beiges Ikea slipcover but I don't actually see that as one of the options on their website anymore, it seems they discontinued it!!

      Delete
  17. Your home is amazing! Love all your decor and styling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where did you find your hooks that you used on the hanger with the cow picture above the hook rack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hooks on the wood are vintage and I bought it as one piece, I bought it at Romantique Boutique in Erie, PA.

      Delete
  20. where did you find the sign over the window? I want something like that in my house and have no idea where to start looking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister made the sign for me. She does custom orders through my etsy shop but none this large. I am hoping to have her make some larger signs to take with us to the Springfield Ohio Antique Show in May!

      Delete
  21. Your house must be so cozy and warm! It just feels like home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi. I have what looks like the exact same pitcher with the wooden spoons in it. I also have spoons in mine :). My pitcher has an interesting history. Was given to my Grandfather years ago. Mine has a stamp on the bottom. Part of it says K. T. & K. Wondering if you know anything about the company itself. Love your home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow... its looking awesome and incredible. I really like this. Thanks for your sharing. Beach Resorts in ECR | Beach Resorts in Chennai

    ReplyDelete