Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Farmhouse Christmas 2017


Happy Holidays Friends! I have begun decorating the house for the holidays and I wanted to share what I have done so far! I know I say it all of the time but keeping it simple is priority number one, this time of year of is so busy for us and I love having a cozy uncluttered farmhouse to come home to.













Lots of ironstone, old fashioned stockings, soft comfy textiles and pine boughs make our front room sitting area cozy and inviting for the holidays.
















I filled one of my new ironstone bowls with a bunch of vintage ornaments that I picked up at the Goodwill.







Decorating with things that I use all year long intermixed with some Christmas items keeps me from spending a lot money and from having to keep bin after bin of holiday decor in the attic all year long. I have to wonder where people store some of the things I see!






To each his own in decorating and I know my style isn't for everyone but I have noticed that a very cluttered "lots of things not made in America" on every surface look is popular this Christmas and I personally feel Americans have gotten away from what Christmas is really about...I don't mean in a religious sense I just mean fundamentally...I am referring to earlier times when people decorated with what they cut in the woods or hand made for each other and the act of doing these things was what was cherished. I think it is important that we try to get back to that and teach our kids that hand made presents or decorations are so much better. As much as I love to shop I think we have just become way too fixated on the buying part of Christmas, not to mention how much waste ends up in the landfills because of it.






I honestly don't see much Christmas decor in the stores that is fitting of this ideal so other than a few ornaments, some stems,  and many vintage items the only Christmas decor I have bought so far this year are these absolutely gorgeous stockings made by Christine at 1871Farmhouse...I am sure you guys are all familiar with her amazingly beautiful work.







I am absolutely in love with these stockings and the nostalgic look they create in our home.  





























Instead of the usual quilt that I put on the back of the couch I used a vintage table cloth that I bought at the Springfield, Ohio Antique Extravaganza.








I've been finding so many wonderful goodies at Taylor Antique Mall where I have a booth...like this charming old medicine cabinet. It fits perfectly in this little space next to the front door and even the littlest bit of extra storage is always helpful.




































































In the family room I hung an old mirror I found at Taylor Antique Mall above the mantel to make the room seem a bit bigger and to catch the reflection of the Christmas tree lights.



































I made a simple swag for our old shutter in the corner and tied it with lace ribbon...this ribbon is available in my etsy shop.



























I hope you have enjoyed seeing a bit of our farmhouse this Christmas...make sure to keep checking back as I will be adding to this post as I get more of it decorated. We have been working day and night to get our master bedroom finished and I will be doing a post with lots of the details soon! Also I have been trying to keep my Etsy shop stocked with lots of my hand made items so keep your eye on it if you are looking for some unique items to buy others or to ask Santa for! In the meantime stay cozy friends!

12 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL..i couldn't agree more with your observation about Christmas..we should all go back to a simplier time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. The medicine cabinet with the greenery is my favorite. I love all your beautiful iron stone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the way you've decorated for Christmas!

    It all looks so warm and cozy and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I am amazed at how much I love the way you decorate. If you have ever seen mine, you will know why! I even called my husband in to look and he agrees. Just like everyone who decorates with white it seems so pure and calming to me. I love my home but I really need to take lessons from you. Have a Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Christmas to me, very charming and real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan your pictures are always so pretty, I just love them. I look forward to every post because I know how beautiful even the simplest things can be. You truely have an artist's eye behind the camera :) Look forward to more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas To You. We also have shared some beautiful images and Wishes For Christmas 2017. Please have a look on my Website.

    Merry Christmas 2017

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! Where do people keep all the stuff? I feel if you already have a nicely decorated home you can add a few things.... some fresh greenery, a few bulbs, your tree... and it will be Christmas perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Christmas decor is so beautiful. I agree with you, in that most homes are over the top with Christmas decor. And SO many homes now decorate rows or roomfuls of trees, as if one Christmas tree is not enough these days. My Dec post is about this very topic. Your home is so calming and peaceful. Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are a camping SUPPLIES website.

    If you need any information just click here CAMPING SUPPLIES- SHIPS

    FREE

    ReplyDelete