Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Our Welsh Dresser

Well I finished staining and polyurethaning the floor of our great room and I also finished up painting the giant wall cupboard known as a Welsh dresser or a kitchen dresser. This giant cupboard was here when we bought the house and I longed for the day that I would be able to put cute things in it!


This cupboard was hand made specifically for this space probably by one of the farmers who lived here and I love everything about it. I painted it and the new beaded board we just put up Martha Stewarts "Bone Folder", you are shocked I know:) The beaded board on the walls outside of the cupboard is Gliddens "Swan White".

This is the cupboard before we gutted the room...






I only wanted to use antique hardware on this piece and had picked up a handle and a drawer pull at the flea market over the summer that were exactly what I had in mind. I thought it might be a challenge to find more of the exact same hardware in the quantity I needed but Etsy made it a snap! What did we ever do before Etsy?:) I found four bin/drawer pulls that matched exactly to the one I had already! And then I found three handles that also matched exactly to the one I had! I love when stuff works out like that. The one door on the bottom has a bin pull because it is an old potato bin, another wonderful thing about this cupboard!


I made short work of filling the shelves with all of my favorite things like ironstone, wire baskets, crocks and old jars and tins. When Neal came home from work he said "Wow you sure filled that up in no time":) Well yeah! This is what I live for!


Sadly I am probably going to have put more practical things like canned goods in here because we need the storage, but for now I just had to make it pretty.







And I know you are wondering about this amazing sign...it is from Knick Of Time on Etsy. I am very particular about reproduction signs but Angie does such an amazing job on these that you would never know they weren't the real thing. I am constantly on the search for late 1800's early 1900's well done reproduction signs but they are hard to find so when she listed this one I snatched it up!





I am so happy with the way this room is coming together, it is just how I always pictured it. We are still finishing up LOTS of things in here so no pictures of the whole room yet but hopefully soon!



Bin Pulls ~ Fairy Home  Etsy
Handles~ My Serious Side Etsy

Cupboard Color~ "Bone Folder" in high gloss finish by Martha Stewart


15 comments:

  1. let me be the first to say OH EM GE ! ! ! . . . what an awesome piece of furniture. I love everything about it's original bones, almost as much as I love what you have added to it. You do such a good job when it comes to décor.

    I'm off to check out some signs from Knick of Time. . .

    Bye ~d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....You have it decorated perfectly... love all the ironstone and pitchers....Great job! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your such a lucky, lucky girl to have such an amazing piece of history! It looks lovely and spruced up and I love the the different items you pulled in to display. Really like the white, rusty bread box. I've been on the lookout for one for a very long time. If I ever come across one I will snatch it up! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH this is a BEAUTIFUL cupboard...and you have made it even more than it was! LOVE it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you didn't tear that wonderful, old cabinet out. You've given it a whole new life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything! May I ask where you got your bread box? Is it a reproduction too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bread box is the real deal, I spent ages looking for the perfect one, I found this one at Spences Shop on Etsy!

      Delete
  7. I'm curious as to why you left the hinges on the cabinet and just painted over them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you you filled it up. Very sweet! Where are you located in PA? We live in Jersey, but plan on moving to PA in the next couple of years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! We live in North Eastern PA, in a small town called Edinboro and we absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely cupboard. I think I might have bought the house based on the cupboard alone:). You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing it with me today.

    Smiles,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cupboard, and everything in it is so beautifully displayed! We are your newest followers, be back soon!

    xox Glad & Cel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cupboard… Good luck on the reno!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful old cupboard. Just making me filled with envy.
    Tonita @ www.ShabbyChicTinyRetreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete